Saturday, April 24, 2021

Tonight

 Tonight


Should I die tonight happy I’ll be

Knowing I’ve reached nearly seventy

Enjoyed the care of family

Years of fun and laughter

Enough success and the odd disaster

I’ve had more than my share 

Of the earth’s sweet fruits 

Of bright spring dawns

And russet autumn sunsets. 

I’ve seen the world 

And walked the beaches

Enjoyed the best of food 

The world can serve us. 


Should I die tonight sad I’ll be

For I haven’t said goodbye 

To all the folk and family

There’s another dawn for me

Rise above the Irish Sea 

I’ve still got plans you see

I’ve a bucket list to complete 

With castles in deep valleys

And friends to greet again

When this long plague is over 

With bright music to enjoy

With friendships to rekindle 

Family to embrace

Over early morning coffee

And lazy evening dinners. 


When the time is right I hope

To shuffle off the stage

I hope I’ll know the hour

When my script is over. 

Because death gives me no fear

Just the fear of missing

Something with my name on it

The Lord sent  me in person. 

So drift into the West I will

But so far no voice is calling

So I think I’ll soundly sleep

Waking up tomorrow morning

No comments:

Post a Comment