Sunday, February 14, 2021

A woman of the stars

 A woman of the stars 


I gave a lift to an ancient woman

Who was hitching on the road

From Santiago del Teide 

To Tamaimo in Tenerife. 


Hard to put an age

On the bluest eyes I’ve ever seen

With darkened skin

Under sunny skies. 


She must have lived 

In the caves I guessed

Like the Guanches

Many years ago.


Her leather skin

Ravaged by years exposed 

To the unrelenting sun

Above a barren land. 


Hard to place her really

A German maybe 

Who had arrived 

Fifty years ago or so. 


She eked a living

On the edges

Under the stars 

Outside the village. 


A journey of only

Twenty minutes or so

But those blue eyes

Burnt in my memory

Twenty years ago. 


What has become 

I often wonder

Of the lady of the stars

Who declined our offers and 

So remain independent and alone

No comments:

Post a Comment