Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Windows

 The Sunday windows stained by rain


The Sunday windows stained by rain

The angry clouds are blowing

Inhospitable, wet and cold

This icy February morning. 


This winter has been long

God help us in our misery

And hope seems as far away as ever -

How we wish for certainty. 


The dogs are happy in their beds

It seems a day for sleep 

Beside a heater that’s never off

A day for half-read books and strong tea. 


I suppose we should be grateful

For seasons that are truly different 

But how I yearn for winter sun

Why did I sell in Tenerife? 


Where blue skies greet my breakfast bowl

Sitting on the terrace looking out to sea

Not wishing days and weeks away

But relishing every second given to me. 


It was I guess to save a planet

From the flights to there and back

To be present for a grandmother 

Who does what grannies do. 


To bring back home

The proceeds that can change 

For better the lives of others 

Virtue is it’s own reward, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment