Monday, March 8, 2021

Ninety

 Ninety


I’ve just decided

I’ll live to ninety

I wasn’t sure 

But now I’m certain. 


That’s twenty years

It should be plenty

Til all my teeth

Leave of their own. 


It’s about as long as

My heart will function

My stock of wine

And horde of cheese. 


I’ve just cheered up

As I’ve reflected 

This rehearsal is just

A one night show. 


This rehearsal 

Is no rehearsal

It’s all we get

On this old stage. 


To hell with sadness 

And with worry

Out with the maps 

And camper van. 


We’ll make up for time spent

On useless projects

We’ll make it real

No time to fake it. 


I’ve just discovered

Smiling is simpler

And takes less effort

Than a scowl. 


If I build a sun house

The sun will always 

Warm my bones

And bless my soul. 


I’ll find a corner 

Where the sun shines

Out of the wind

Where apples grow. 


All in earshot 

Of the wild waves

Crashing loudly 

On a Wexford shore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment