Friday, March 12, 2021

Silent Revolt

 The people have revolted


The people have revolted

Not that the Government has noticed

The only masks in Sandycove 

Are on the eighty one year olds. 


The kids are playing, running free

After twelve months they might as well be

And their Mums in fitted jeans 

Discuss young Harry and the Queen. 


Not a mask in sight but it’s outside

So I guess that’s better somehow

The masses have quietly said naught

The war is over, the battle fought. 


The health officials now sound like prelates, 

Respected but ignored

The sermons preached to smaller crowds 

Convincing the converted. 


Out in the field the horse has bolted

While they admire the stable door

Solemn ministers expounding

To the faithful few from a pedestal. 


I’m happy to wait for my vaccine

Stand in line to hear my call

Mine is a generation that knows patience

Is a virtue and value more. 


In my case eight years in a seminary

Of which seven spent in a monastery

Three thousand days one like another

Steels the soul for adversity. 


I recount all this without anger

Or even sadness because I know

Our youth has suffered and now

It’s  time to let our people go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment